Thursday, July 22, 2010

To Flick, or not to flick

A few days ago, I was reading some Shakespeare (I think you might recognize which play based on the title of this post), and I became inspired to write the following:

"To Flick or not to flick- that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The curses and taunts of getting D'ed,
Or to take aim down the field,
And, by throwing, crush them. To layout, to get D'ed
No more - and by getting D'ed to say we end
The joy and thousand cheers
That scoring is heir to - 'tis a situation
Rarely to be wished. To layout, to get D'ed
To get D'ed, perchance to score. Ay, there's the stuff,
For in that field of dreams what dreams may come,
When we have shuffled up our O-line,
Must give us cause. There's the respect
That makes calamity of opponents alike.
For who would D the flicks and hucks of O-line,
Th' opponent's wrong, the better team wins,
The pride of coming first, the game's delay,
The insolence of trapping, and the turnovers
That patient merit of th' Cup makes,
When we ourselves might play Junk D
With a close upline? Who would handlers dare,
To bleed and sweat under a fiery sky, 
But that the joy of something after scoring,
The undiscovered player from whose run
No defender can stop, puzzles the D
And makes us rather score the points we have
Than try the throw that we know not of? 
Thus experience does make leaders of us all,
And thus the creative hue of imagination
Is drizzled o'er the new cleats we've bought,
And the prizes of great reach and moment
With this wind their throws turn awry, 
And they lose the game of nations. -Soft throws now!
The clear Sunnybrook! There, in thy field
Be all my skills remembered."

Hope you liked it. It took me about an hour or so to write, so I'm not sure if it's the best work I've done so far. I might change up the words here and there depending on my mood. By "Cup", I'm refering to zone-defence. I chose to write, "the clear Sunnybrook", with reference to Sunnybrook Park in Toronto. I've had many tournaments on this field and I absolutely love it. Premier fields. Well maintained. Great for layouts!

1 comment:

  1. Dinesh you are a nerd! But I love you none-the-less. Why haven't I seen you writing cheers?

    Gee-off

    ReplyDelete